Its Sunday afternoon and we’ve decided to whip up Lobster Mac & Cheese….why not?!?!?! We spent the afternoon at Evergreen Brick Works walking the trails and working up a big appetite. We had jars of lobster back at the ranch, which were brought straight from the east coast of New Found Land. The combination of penne pasta, succulent lobster from the east coast, an array of cheeses and some hot chilli flakes put this dish over the top! Bake it, serve with a fresh Kale Salad and voila, comfort food for the soul. Substitution Tip: If you do not have lobster replace with any other seafood fave! (scallops, shrimp, crab etc.)
In a medium sauce pan make béchamel sauce.
1. Heat butter over medium-low heat until melted. Add flour and stir until smooth.
5 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2. Over medium heat, cook until the mixture turns a light, golden sandy colour, about 6 to 7 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the milk (4 cups) in a separate pan until just about to boil.
4. Add the hot milk to the butter mixture of flour and butter (1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth).
5. Bring to a boil.
6. Cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat and add in desired cheeses. We grated four different cheese, some mild some strong. About 2 cups of grated cheese would be ideal. Stir until the cheese melts.
7. Season with salt and nutmeg (2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg).
8. Add lobster meat (or alternate choice of seafood) to the béchamel sauce and continue to stir.
Pasta: (pre heat oven to 375 degrees)
1. Boil a large pot of water with salt
2. Add penne pasta or macaroni style pasta to the boiling water (do not turn the water down after adding)
3. Drain when cooked to preference
5. Transfer the pasta to a clear baking dish
6. Top with the remaining béchamel sauce and sprinkle with fresh parmesan cheese
7. Place in the oven uncovered for 35 minutes or until bubbling
8. After removing from the oven let stand for 10 minutes before serving
9. Add chill flakes if desired!